So let me begin with what is important to know: the MRI was NOT bad news. It is not 100% good news, but NOT bad.
The Neuro-radiologists took a good deal of time to analyze Emmy's MRI. They could see immediately that there were no glaring issues. However, upon closer inspection and comparison with the CT she had just after her seizures, there is a mild to moderate increase in Emerson's ventricles. This COULD BE consistent with diffuse cerebral atrophy, but it is unclear. In other words, Emerson could be perfectly fine. She could come out of this the exact same smart, funny, happy little girl we had. There are other cases that have had THE EXACT SAME results in their MRI image who are perfectly fine. On the other hand, it is unclear because there have been other cases that have had THE EXACT SAME results in their MRI image who have various impairments ranging from mild to severe.
In other words... we have to wait and see. We are looking for Emerson in there. We are looking for her to react to us- to show recognition of her family. It is a bit too soon for this because she still has drugs in her system. We are still weaning her. We are looking for her to do some of the things we ask her to do. This is also hard right now because sometimes, well, sometimes she doesn't do it so we don't know if she can't or what. Other times, it seems like she DOES do it but we don't know if it is a coincidence or if she is really responding to us. I have made a chart. It has various commands/activities I try with her so I can keep track of whether she did it, she may have done it or she did not do it and when. This way, while still pretty subjective, I can tell the doctor with more certainty what I have or have not seen her do.
The biggest difference, today, is that she is awake. She has been up since after her MRI. I mean wide awake. No drugged out slits for eyes that I never ever want to see her with again, full big blues staring back at us. Also, whereas before she could only stare straight ahead, she can move her eyes slightly right now. She can also make bigger movements with her arms and legs. In fact- according to my chart :)- at 1:30 when I asked her to kick for me really hard, kick, kick, kick, she did! She didn't do the other stuff I asked her to do, but I also had really bad coffee breath, so maybe she was mad at me and insulted by that.
So in all, we are still hopeful, and we are SO EXCITED that she is awake. It is great to try to interact with her again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment