Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Early Tuesday- the second Tuesday

I just woke up again to beeping. This room beeps when one of her meds is done and needs replacing or when her fluids from her stomach or chest have filled the container and that needs changing. We learned early on what the ok vs. bad beeping is. The bad beeps come from the monitor where her heart rate and BP are. When that would beep last week, I would panic and jump. She has not had a BP crash since, I think, last Tuesday, so I no longer jump at those sounds. Her BP has been good without any help from medicine since late Friday, so while I know it is a possibility that something could inexplicably go wrong- I mean, we're here aren't we?- I don't freak out about the bad beeps anymore because it usually means her heart rate is not detectable because that sensor is really sensitive to when someone bumps into that side of the bed, which happens often when the nurses are working over there.

I decided to wake up for the day when I saw Brianne, her night nurse, giving her something. Here is a summary of her night:

:) no temperature, good heart rate and good BP
:( low potassium- that is what Brianne was giving her
:) no seizures
:( no movements all night
:) good urine output
?? I asked about her sodium levels and she is checking.

I know there is more good here than bad but I NEED movement! I feel like one of those crazy mothers pushing her child to do thing something she doesn't want to do, and I said I would never be one of those mothers, but in this circumstance I am. I am going to get up now and hold her hand and maybe poke her a bit or something ;).

We'll post more after rounds when we know more.

No comments: